Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tonight - Hamburgers, Guac and Deviled Eggs

Hooray! I used to hate hamburgers, I now love them. Of course, tonight what we will actually be having is burgers made with ground venison and about 20% pork. There isn't enough fat in venison to keep it from drying out if we didn't add the ground pork, but they taste delicious! My dad hunts in the fall, and we reap the benefits. We have 2/3 of a deer this year (we split it with some other people) and I am very grateful. My brother and sister in-law also gave us some of the stuff that they don't want from their CSA including some avocados which I don't normally buy, but I am looking forward to some guacamole! Now most recipes call for tomatoes, but those are a little scarce in February in Wisconsin and I found this recipe: http://www.guacamolerecipe.net/ - I have plenty of salsa that I made last fall in the freezer, and I am thinking that salsa would be a good addition to the hamburger toppings as well as the tacos I am planning to make tomorrow night with the leftover ground venison/pork. And I have an in with an egg-lady so free-range eggs all around! What a feast - and thrifty too!


NOTE:  I was at my co-blogger Marty's house recently and she served guacamole in a dish with the pits on top.  She said that it stopped the guacamole from browning.  We were there for hours and it didn't brown at all!  She had made it in the morning and it still looked perfect.  Awesome tip!

IMG_8265


Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment