Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Tacos and What Became of Them

Well, you might remember that I had to mix up some venison with about 20% pork for hamburgers. Of course that gave me much more meat than I needed, so I froze half (in 1 1/4 pound packages), used 1/4 for burgers, and used 1/4 for tacos. I made my own seasoning this time, because I ran out, and it was really tasty. It needed a little salt, and I think that after this taco seasoning runs out I am going to make this taco seasoning instead, since I like a little more zip. This gave us more taco meat than we needed, so after serving tacos a couple of times, I knew I needed to come up with something different (remember, my husband "can't" eat the same meal three times in a row). A quick internet search and: Taco Eggs! I used toasted english muffins instead of pita pockets and I cooked my eggs ( in a bit of butter) before adding the meat. Then I sliced some cheese. My husband loved these, I think he ate three. After this, I had a bit left over, but I felt that I had reheated this particular meat enough and it wasn't safe to eat anymore, so, much to my dismay, into the trash it went. Oh well, I won't overestimate the number of eggs my family can eat next time.

The funny thing is, that my parents were visiting us this weekend and they agreed to watch the kids for us one night while we brought supper to some friends. I knew that the kids like tacos and that the folks like tacos (sometimes they are not so crazy about some of my more creative dishes), so I made them tacos to eat while we were gone. Of course they couldn't eat all of that meat either, so now I have leftover taco meat. Again. What to do? What to do? Another search for leftover taco meat and I came up with: Chili, mixing it with tomato sauce for a spaghetti bolognese kind of thing, chili mac or all kinds of other ideas. I am thinking about either the spaghetti or chili mac. I will post pictures, along with a recipe if any of these come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment