Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Venison Loin

Alright.  So once again, I decided to combine a couple of recipes.  Hugh Fearnley-Whittenstall is one of my favorite sources, so I owe him for most of this recipe.  Then I also came up on this video which showed another way of making venison which I hadn't tried before, so I had to jazz it up a bit with that too, although not nearly as fancy as his.  The result was phenomenal, and definitely something that I will try again!  Here is what I did:

First, I cut my venison loin into noisettes about 3/4 of an inch thick.  Then I sprinkled a little salt and some freshly ground pepper on each side.  I put them into a hot(!) pan in which I had melted a bit of butter and added some olive oil.  I seared them for about a minute on each side (I like my venison pretty rare).  Then I added a small glass of whiskey (I would have added brandy, but I didn't have any) and set fire to it with a match.  After the flames died down I transfered the meat to a warmed dish.

Using the same pan that I cooked the venison in, I added a few TBL of red wine (I had some raspberry wine leftover) and deglazed the pan over medium heat.  Then I added about 3 TBL of red currant jelly and reduced for a few minutes.  Then I added 1 TBL of cream, reduced a bit more and poured over the venison.  You could obviously do this with a beef loin as well.


Potatoes

I used some small Russet potatoes and boiled them until easily pierced with a fork.  Then I crushed them with a glass and put them into a frying pan with three cloves of crushed garlic and some butter (enough to keep the potatoes from sticking to the pan).  I had some kale that had overwintered in my garden and was starting to put out new leaves, so I stole those, chopped them coarsely and added them to the potatoes - probably a couple of handfuls.  I cooked until the kale had wilted and you could smell the cooked garlic.  Serve with the venison.  Yum!
 


The next night I cut up the venison, added some more kale and (after boiling until easily pierced with a fork) some fingerling potatoes.  I had bought many pounds of them at the farmer's market last fall and as you can see I either need to use them up or plant them.  By the way NEVER eat potato sprouts or any green part of potatoes.  Potatoes belong to the deadly nightshade family and the green parts are poisonous. 



Then I just cooked it all together in a pan for a little while and we had a wonderful hash.  Don't forget to add all of the leftover sauce too.


The third night I took the leftover hash and incorporated it into an egg dish.  This is one I made up completely and I don't remember how I did it.  I forgot to write it down, but I imagine that it was something like this:

I think that I had about a cup or maybe two of hash leftover.  Add three beaten eggs and mix together.  Add 1 cup of warm whole milk.  Stir and sprinkle the top with chopped kale and 1/4 cup Parmesan.  Cover and bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes or until set in the middle and slightly browned on top.  

That is my best guess as to what I did.  I will try and make something like it again soon.  Good luck!   

 






No comments:

Post a Comment