Monday, May 10, 2010

Pancakes


I told you about how my husband and my eldest daughter argue about whether pancakes or waffles are better, and so they have to switch off weekends.  I gave you my recipe for waffles first because I almost always make the same recipe, but I usually make different recipes for pancakes.  Here is one of them (from "The Joy of Cooking" with minimal changes), topped off with sliced bananas and strawberry syrup:

Pancakes

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1 cup wheat and 1/2 cup white)
3 TBL sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix wet ingredients together in a medium bowl:

1 1/2 cups milk
3 TBL butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and gently whisk together.  You could add dried or fresh fruit, nuts or other additions at this stage.

Pour  1/2-1 cup (depending on how large you like your pancakes) of batter into a medium-hot pan.  Cook until bubbles rise to the top and start to pop open and golden brown underneath.  Flip and cook until golden brown  on other side.    

Eat!

2 comments:

  1. Laura - I've made pancakes in the past but don't have anywhere near the presentation of whats in the photo. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel! I don't usually have that kind of presentation either, but my kids enjoy it when I dress it up a bit, and since I make them every other weekend, I need to switch it up for my own amusement! :o)

    ReplyDelete