Tuesday, May 11, 2010

System Cooking with Salmon

I forgot to take a picture of the whole salmon fillet that we cooked for the first meal.  Use your imagination.  :o)   I had a sockeye salmon fillet that was about 1.75 lbs.  We seasoned it fairly lightly with my version of the Potlatch Seasoning that you can buy at Williams-Sonoma.  We bought it once and I liked it so I just read the ingredients on the back and mixed up my own.  Here are the ingredients.  I have no idea how much of each spice I put in, but I added them in decreasing amounts:

Kosher salt, paprika, crushed red pepper, chili pepper, oregano, basil, coriander

It also says that they add safflower oil, but I don't.  Anyway, place fish on some aluminum foil,  and sprinkle lightly with the seasoning.  Grill over medium heat until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Don't overcook!   Serve with rice and roasted asparagus and fiddleheads (if in season).   Don't eat too much - you will want plenty of leftovers (and besides, salmon isn't exactly cheap!) 



The next night I made omelets.  I took the leftover asparagus, fiddleheads, and some of the rice and salmon and added some chopped winter onions from the garden (you could use a couple of scallions instead - basically the same thing).   I sauteed everything together until the onions were cooked through and then set to the side.

I love omelets and I usually make them with milk, but I recently saw a Jamie Oliver video where he fixed them without milk.  If you have never made omelets before or even if you have, watch the video.  It isn't very long and he does a great job of explaining how to make them.  I made them exactly the way he does in the video.  Three eggs, pinch of salt, a little freshly ground pepper, whisk well, pour into a hot pan, tilt and cook, add the salmon mixture, sprinkle with some cheese, fold it over and serve.  Mine didn't fold over as nicely as his, as I am sure you can see, but omelets are a great way to use up leftovers.  Jake has informed me that soup season is over.  I am not so sure, but over the summer I usually use up my leftovers in different ways other than soup.   



The third night we had a salmon pilaf.  I didn't have much asparagus left, but I had a bit, so I chopped it up fairly small and put it into the pan first with a bit of olive oil.  While that was cooking I chopped up three stalks of celery, three winter onions (scallions) and a couple of handfuls of kale and flaked the remainder of the salmon.  When the asparagus was cooked through I added the rest of the rice, vegetables and salmon.  I would have added some garlic, but I am currently out (gasp!).  I cooked together for a few minutes and then stuck it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.  You could skip this step and just saute it until the vegetables are cooked through.  I just felt like an oven baked pilaf that night.
 

2 comments:

  1. mmm, lovely! i have 2 tiny alternate tips:

    a fish-grilling basket does incredibly well on the bbq-- crate and barrel sells a decent one and you can sometimes also find vintage ones at flea markets! ingenious invention! it prevents that whitish, icky fatty congealed liquid bit that builds up when you grill salmon in foil or bake in the oven.

    also, a girlfriend told me a tip she got from a "top chef" chef-- (tiffani, if you remember her)-- use a bit of water instead of milk in your omelettes. just a bit. they get fluffier. swear :P weird, indeed, but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Thanks! I will have to keep my eyes open for a fish-grilling basket. Overall cheaper than using aluminum foil, if you can get a good price on one. I hate throwing the aluminum foil away afterward too.

    I will try water with the omelets. Looking forward to it.

    I checked out your blog too. Very cool!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete