Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Morels!

I forgot to tell you about my morels!  A few weekends ago we went mushroom hunting with the WI Mycological Society.  We had looked for morels before, but never had success.  We wanted to go on this foray just to see someone find a morel so we could look at it in place and figure out exactly what they looked like in situ.  We actually ended up finding some ourselves!  Hooray!


We were so excited!  We are probably going to spend every morel season for the rest of our lives looking for morels.  Beginners luck, I am sure, but so exciting!


Anyway, we took them home and fried them up with some butter.  Absolutely wonderful!!!  I looked through a whole bunch of recipes first, but decided to go with simple for our first time.


The top mushroom is a Pheasant Back.  It is edible, but not supposed to be that great.  We didn't end up eating it.  The morels were too wonderful to compete with.  Always make SURE that you know what you are eating.  That is one of the reasons that I joined the mycological society.  I have some great guidebooks, but that is no replacement for someone who actually KNOWS.  I can hardly wait for morel season next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment